Saturday, December 1, 2012

Back From Hiatus

Hello all.  I know it has been a while since we have spoken, but I promise that i'm alive and well. I've had a surprising amount of traffic through this site while I was gone.  Maybe it's something about the awesome way I tag my posts, or maybe not! Haha.  What's the good news, you ask?  It is December the 1st and i'm back!  I feel like it's a good day to return.  I just needed a little bit of a break, so I took it.  I haven't been doing much, so you really haven't missed out.  I've been getting a lot of reading done and I feel like I have seen quite a few concerts in my time away, so let's talk music.

I was involved in quite the night out on the town last night.  I'm typically a two bar a night kind of guy, but the fact that I found myself in three last night should start painting a little bit of a picture.  I had been looking forward to this night for a little while.  There was a jazz singer, Linnzi Zaorski, playing down at the Grocery that one of the bartenders had talked up to me.  I tell people, regularly, that I feel like I was born in the wrong era.  I am a HUGE fan of classic film/books.  I often wish I could find myself in one of those classic old bars where all the women are in classy dresses while the men are wearing those white dinner jackets.  The places are always cloudy from the smoke of hand rolled cigarettes.  No one drinks beer in these places either, it's always brandy, martinis, and other drinks of the sort.  The kind of place like Rick's Cafe from Casablanca.  


Rick's Cafe - Casablanca (1942)

Linnzi Zaorski would fit right into a bar like this.  Her smooth sound was fantastic.  Her voice projected so well that it filled the room up.  This isn't just a matter of amplification because I have seen plenty of bands in that room that couldn't fill it up with the sound like she could.  It was a nice a laid back sound that truly transported me right back into the 40's, or at least how I like to imagine them.  I even wore a jacket.  No, it wasn't a classy white dinner jacket because I would have been way out of place, but it did make me feel just a little bit more classy.  


Linnzi Zaorski and her band.

We stayed at the Grocery until the band shut down and then figured out plans for moving on.  We ended up only taking a few steps to the bar next door. (The bonus bar of the night)  I happened to run into my cousin, who's birthday it was, in there.  I stayed there and had some birthday drinks with him until they were ready to move on down to Mezo's.


Mezo's is always the "it" spot on the weekends.  It was, as per usual, elbow to elbow in there, BUT Captain Midnight was playing.  I've spoken about The Captain Midnight Band before in my He's Got the Moves Like Jagger: Part 2 post, but i'll go ahead and say a few words about them again.  What a great band to be finishing off the night with.  They are an unquestionably fun band.  I danced and grooved to their sounds until I got the signal that it was time to call it a night.  I don't remember what time it was when we finally left, but it was late (or early depending on how you look at that).  


I know this picture is a little wonky and sideways, but
I was also a little bit wonky and sideways at this point.

Tonight the music and madness continues.  The night is actually starting with a bizarre foods cookout.  I'm looking forward to posting about that in the near future.  Hopefully the post doesn't require a strong stomach! Following bizarre foods we are headed over to the coliseum to see Joe Bonamassa play.  Then most likely headed back downtown for another dose of Captain Midnight before they head back up to Nashville.  

It's good to be back

Until Next Time,
Kyle




No comments: