Friday, August 10, 2012

Alabama Shakes

I don't do music "reviews."  I'm not a critic.  I'm a fan.  Just to set that straight!  When I write about a particular band it's because they've really knocked my socks off.  The latest band that has really blown me away has been Alabama Shakes!  Yes, i'm jumping right into the hype!  I've been hearing about the Shakes for a few months now through Twitter, Facebook, and all other social media outlets.  I tend to shy away from anything with that amount of hype.  I guess I just hate following the crowd.

My first exposure to Alabama Shakes was a couple nights ago at work.  Their video for Hold On came on while I was working in one of the rooms.  I didn't know who it was at first.  I just started hearing the song and before long I wasn't doing anything but staring at the TV.  I was enthralled by this band I was seeing and couldn't wait to see who it was.  When Alabama Shakes came up on the screen I instantly knew what all the hype was about.  I feel like I got to see them with a completely unbiased outlook by not knowing who it was at first.  Lucky me!

When I got home I quickly got on YouTube and looked that video back up.  I was just so blown away that I watched it over and over until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.  I downloaded their album soon after and was thoroughly impressed.  The album sounds like something straight out of the fifties.  It has an amazing motown, bluesy, soul, rock feel that I just adore.  They also have perfected the "quality crap" recording style.  What does that mean?  It's got plenty of fuzz and crackling to give it the feel of being recorded in a garage 40 years ago and being played back on a janky 8 track player.  Don't take my word for it though, have a listen for yourself!  The hype is worth it!




Until Next Time,
Kyle

No comments: