Sunday, July 15, 2012

Hotlanta

We hit the road early on Friday morning.  Well, honestly it wasn't that early.  We started making the rounds through Ocean Springs at around 9 and were making our way out of town by at least 10.  The great thing about a trip to Atlanta, from here, is that the directions are not difficult at all.  I-10 to I-65 then I-85 and hello Atlanta.  


We made it to Turner Field 2 and 1/2 hours before the game and stood around just waiting for those gates to open up!  As soon as we walked in it began to rain.  It was just drizzling, so we weren't too worried.  We were walking below the stadium and saw the first tunnel that would give us a view of the field when we saw it.  It was POURING!  Our hearts sunk a little, but none of us were willing to say what we were thinking.  Did we really just drive all the way to Atlanta to have this game rained out?  We pressed on and just kept the faith.  


We piddled around, dodging the rain, for a little bit before finally deciding to find our seats.  We really didn't know much about the seats we chose, but it didn't really matter to us as long as we could see.  We were pleasantly surprised to see that not only were our seats amazing, but they were also under cover.  We had dry seats!  Victory!



Our first view of Turner was of the rain coming down
on the infield tarp.  

We sat down and kept pulling up the radar hoping to see something good.  I decided that we weren't doing anything else, so I would take a few pictures.  I had carried my big Canon with me to document the trip.  I was so excited to be able to get some amazing photos from this trip.  I flipped the camera to on and I didn't hear anything.  Maybe with the noise I just couldn't hear it.  I turned the LCD screen around to me and noticed it wasn't on.  I flipped it off and on again and still nothing.  Did I just come all the way out here with a dead battery?  I opened up the battery box and noticed something was wrong.  There wasn't a battery at all!  What have I done!?  How could I get all the way here without my battery!?  I thought back to where it may be, but the fact was it wasn't here.  Was I a little bit embarrassed?  Yes, and I still am.  I can't believe I did that!  It ended up being in my bag in the car, but I never walked back out to check and there's nothing I can do about it at this point, so oh well I guess.

The rain finally stopped.  The radar was showing us that it should be done for a while, so the field crew came out to start working to get the field ready for the game.  


It all happened pretty fast after the rain stopped.  The field was prepared.  The national anthem was sung and we were ready to play!  This was my first major league game, so I was filled with excitement.  I was not disappointed.  I'm not planning on giving you a play by play of the game, but there was some highlights for us.  Not only did we get to see Chipper Jones play before he retires (one of our main reasons for going), but he also hit a homer that night!  How awesome is that?  You go to see one of your all time favorite players play and he just so happens to homer in that game.  Needless to say, we were all pretty happy.


The Braves on the field


What's a baseball game without a beer and a
hot dog?  Seriously? (but, at those prices it's
definitely a one and done!)

The game was great.  We tomahawk chopped like it was the last time we'd ever do it.  Then after a commanding close by Kimbrel, the Braves had the win!  What more could you ask for in a trip to the ballpark?  


Braves win!


Fireworks after the game.

Following the game we didn't have any problem getting back on the interstate.  That was possibly the smoothest exit from any event i've ever been to.  The good thing about road tripping with a night shifter is that I have NO problems staying awake at night, so we drove straight through back to the house.  Yes, we did Atlanta as a day trip.  For those of you that aren't from around here, that is a 6 hour one way trip.  We win!  I look forward to doing it again sometime!

Until Next Time,
Kyle








No comments: