Sunday, June 24, 2012

Make a Choice

I ended up getting put on call for work last night and somehow managed to not get called in either.  Sitting around, waiting on the phone to ring, last night gave me a lot of time to think.  This isn't always a good thing, but it managed to be pretty interesting.  I pondered on a question that you're sure to have been asked at one point in time.  You're interested now right?  Well, here it is.

Q:  If you HAD to choose, would you rather be blind or deaf?

I know that's a loaded question.  It's meant to be.  It's supposed to get you digging deep down inside and pondering these things.  I really went back and forth with this one.  When I thought I had it answered, I would change my mind again.  I fell asleep thinking about it last night.  I don't know if it had anything to do with the dreams I had, but they were WEIRD!  Maybe i'll do a post about them at a later time.  

I managed to wake up a little bit early today, so I headed back to the park to do a couple miles of heavy hiking before getting ready for work.  I was still pondering these senses while I was making laps around this little trail.  As I was looking around I could see the signs of tropical storm Debby turning in the Gulf.  




The water was much higher than usual.  It
was all the way up to the trail in places.

Debby also was giving me a nice little breeze on a hot day.  The beauty was all around, that part was obvious, but I also adore the sounds of the woods.  From the birds chirping, to the rustling of the leaves from the wind.  I love all of those sounds.  I also had my iPod playing into my ears.  The songs that shuffled up seemed to be perfect for the day.  How could I go without music?  This decision is much harder than a yes or no answer.  

Although the decision was hard, I finally put my finger on the answer I know is right for me.  As I was hiking, out there today, I kept thinking of all the amazing places i've been and the things i've seen.  Just thinking of never being able to see them again was a little bit disheartening.  Don't get me wrong, music makes my world go round on most days, but I have enough songs floating around in my head to keep me singing for the rest of my life.  

The thought of never seeing....


... another Grand Canyon sunrise, 


Tennessee sunset from my hammock on the Natchez Trace, ...


Horn Island on a perfect day, or...

that perfect smile of a beautiful girl intended for me 
(maybe i'll be able to add that picture at some point!),..


those are the things I can't handle losing.  I am very grateful that both of these senses are intact with me.  I've come quite close to losing one of them, so I understand how different my life could be at the moment.  I know it was a loaded question, but you're thinking now!  So, what would you choose?  

Darkness or silence?

Until Next Time,
Kyle

I told you I was going to add "I am weary" from last night's Prairie Home Companion whenever it was up... here it is!


I've also been noticing lots of new readers from all over the country.  Thanks for stopping by and checking out the site!  Thank you all for your continued support. -K-




No comments: