Sunday, June 10, 2012

Kyle Does Art.... Kind Of

My regulars will know that recently I have become a little bit obsessed with the sport of benchmark hunting.  Sport is used a little bit loosely, but I have a lot of fun doing it.  What is it, you ask? Well, it's basically searching for something specific using gps and other forms of navigation.  I spend most of my time seeking out antique survey markers using old survey notes dating back to 40's.  I just enjoy being able to spend the time outdoors searching for something.  I'm always searching for something. I've come to find out that these little markers are pretty much everywhere and i've gotten pretty good at picking them out.  I've managed to find quite a few around this little town.  At one point in time there were a couple that were even out on our barrier islands, but they are long since considered lost. 


What do you do when you find them?  Honestly, nothing.  You definitely don't move them. (not that you really could without a crane)  What do I do?  I log them into a book I have and photograph them. Exciting right?  It's just one of the little things that keep me occupied.  What i've been doing here recently is altering the photographs and making an art form, of sorts, out of these benchmarks.  


Here are a few:



Normal benchmark

Now Kyle's "Art" benchmarks

















Eventually I want to collect enough of these to tile a poster with.  Only a few people will find any interest in something like that, but I sure will enjoy it.  Until then i'll just keep collecting.

Until Next Time,
Kyle









No comments: