Saturday, June 30, 2012

Here's To 26

My birthday was this past Monday.  What did I do?  I went to work! Sounds awesome right?  I got a lot of mixed reactions when I told anyone I was working on my birthday.  Honestly, I just didn't want to break up my schedule just to have this one day off.  It's just not that big of a deal to me.  Especially since i'm in the middle of an 8 day stretch off now!  Woohoo!


My stretch off has been pretty awesome so far!  I got to be a part of the Flaming Lips record breaking day of shows.  They broke the Guinness world record for most shows in different cities in a single 24 hour period.  They ended up doing 8 and it just so happened that 5 of them were right here in my home state of Mississippi!  It was a really fun experience and they live streamed the entire event from the start in Memphis until they were announced as the new record holders in New Orleans. I must say that I think we had one of the best shows.  That's not just my bias for being at home either!  The show was poolside at the Hard Rock!  Beach balls were flying and the crowd was splashing around in the water throughout the show.  You really couldn't ask for a better scenario on a beautiful South MS day.


-I made a joke at one point, while I was out there, saying how I would hate to be the guy that has to clean the pool after that show.  With all the Lips fans in it, there is bound to be so much glitter and so many plastic stars floating about that it could turn into a cleaning nightmare.  Worth it though!



Neon Trees opened up the show.  I didn't know much of
them beforehand, but they put on a pretty good show!


Beach ball fun waiting on the Lips.  What a perfect scene 
for an awesome show.


The Flaming Lips (with phantogram) at the pool!


Wayne doing an interview before heading back on the road
towards Baton Rouge.  


Awesome pic my cousin Justin got from the 
side of the stage.

This experience alone was pretty much enough to make my week amazing!  I've had some opportunities, the past few days, to spend some good times with my friends.  We attempted to do a little flounder gigging the other night, but the wind and tides just weren't in our favor.  It was still just to be out on the beach in the middle of the night though.  


Last night my dad and I headed up to Hattiesburg for my first dirt track race in a long time.  A couple of guys he knows, from his work, had their sprint car up there this weekend, so we decided to go watch.  As soon as we got to the track I got the itch again.  From the mullets in the stands, to the smell of the race fuel and the dirt in my teeth, I miss it all.  You probably don't know this, but a few years back racing was my favorite pass times.  I really enjoyed it while I was doing it.  When my engine finally gave out I never got around to putting it back together and it all just kind of fell by the wayside, but seeing it again I really wish I could get back out there. Maybe one day!


I know it's a terrible picture, but those are the sprint
cars before the race.


The 86 car was me back in 2008.  I went from the dirt track
to asphalt on a sporadic weekly basis.  None of my dirt 
track pictures remain.

26 has definitely started out on the right foot.  I've got a lot of big plans for this year from the Colorado trip coming up in September to things that have remained unannounced.  I'm feeling very optimistic of the potential this year has.  I think it could be my best yet!  Here's to it!

Until Next Time,
Kyle








Make sure to vote in my poll at the top right!

No comments: