Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Worst Day of Fishing

I'm sure you've heard it before.  The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work.  I couldn't agree more with that.  I grew up on the water.  From the time I was six years old I have been exploring all the ins and outs out the Mississippi sound up and down the gulf coast.  I've spent my fair share of time a little bit further out in the Gulf of Mexico as well.  When you spend as much time out there as I have, you end up seeing some pretty amazing things.  I think I could write a book solely around the time i've spent out on the water.  My pirate journals.  (It's all part of my retirement plans.)


As time has gone on, i've become a little busier and haven't been able to spend the time out there that i've wished I could.  With me working weekends, it can be hard to coordinate trips, but it doesn't stop me from trying.  Today was finally the perfect day.  My dad and I launched the boat in the early morning hours and headed to one of our favorite spots.  After getting a little bit of bait we settled into an attempt at trying to get enough fish to fry tonight.



It didn't take us very long to start getting bites, and when it started it became a frenzy for a little bit.  It feels good to put the first trout in the boat.  For about 20 mins, every time we threw a bait out into the water we got a bite almost instantly.  Now, quite a few of them were too small to keep, but we still managed to get enough for the cooler.  As, quickly as the bite started, it quit.  Little did we know it wouldn't pick up at all for the rest of the day, but it wasn't going to keep us from trying. 

After deciding that the fish weren't biting at this spot anymore we pulled up the anchor and headed for fresh grounds.  Something very interesting happened there.  I cast a bait out and got a bite fairly quickly.  As I watched the strike I noticed something peculiar.  It didn't look like a normal fish.  My dad noted that he thought it might be some kind of ray.  We were surprised to see what came up with my line.


Yes, that is a sea turtle!

I had my dad scoop him up in the net so I could work on the hook.  I worked  as carefully as I could to make sure no more damage was inflicted in the little guy.  Once I finally got the hook out I had to pose for a quick photo op before setting him back free.  This little turtle was VERY energetic and spent most of its time trying to bite my fingers.  When I set him back in the water, he was gone in an instant.



Full throttle flapping!

You never know what you're going to see out there.  We continued on into the early afternoon before calling it a day and heading home.  The bite never picked back up, but the wind certainly did.  


We got back to the house and went through the regular motions of cleaning fish and the boat.  Then the best part happened.  There is nothing like fresh fish that you caught that morning.



We didn't catch a ton, but definitely enough 
for a good dinner!


My mom was nice enough to fry some up for
me before I headed back home.  Thanks Mom!


Sweet Victory

Until Next Time,
Kyle













1 comment:

Misti said...

That is awesome about the turtle! I'll have to take a closer look at some identification stuff but my initial guess is a Kemps ridley or a green. Very cool, glad you were a good fisherman and helped it on its way!