Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Kyle Goes Back to Mayfest: Day 2

I woke up FAR too early on Saturday morning.  When I turned over and looked at the clock it was only 7:43.  Yes, I remember that exact number.  I couldn't help but wonder why I always seem to wake up so early after a night of drinking. I've talked to a few people that have had the same problem, so I decided to do a little research.  Want it or not, here's the answer.  I'm sure you've noticed that you don't have any problem falling hard asleep very quickly after drinking.  Your body actually bypasses the normal REM sleep cycle and goes right into deep sleep.  And there you have it.  Not only do you wake up early, but you also don't get as high of a quality of sleep.  Why do we do this to ourselves?  I ask this to myself all the time.


I moped around the apartment for a little bit digging through the fridge looking for something to eat.  I didn't really feel that bad when I first got up, but I ended up realizing that the hangover just hadn't set in yet.  I didn't make it downtown until around noon.  I was dragging pretty badly by this point.  I know that there is only one true cure for a hangover, so I made quick work of finding my friends and getting a beer in me.  


SN:  The first thing I saw, when I hit the festival, was one of our local eccentrics.  I have no idea what his name is.  (If you know, please tell me!)  I've always called him Daddy Long Legs.  My neighbor says his daughters call him campground Chris.  He is pretty unanimously known as the bicycle guy for the most part.  He has been around for a long time.  You just see him randomly riding his bike around.  He is usually in a Richard Petty style cowboy hat, long t-shirt, and some sort of leggings.  He's just one of those local legends.  I should've gotten a picture, but i'll get it next time.


Saturday just so happened to be Cinco de Mayo, so that's just an extra excuse to party.  I was sitting at Leo's and ordered a Dos Equis to celebrate with mostly because I thought they were on special.  There is nothing special about $4 for anything!  It was definitely one and done for me at this spot.  



We headed out from there to listen to some of the bands for a bit.  It was SO hot out there on Saturday, so before too long we were ready to find some shade again.  We headed back into a little more regular spot, for us, the Grocery where a $2 PBR isn't even a special.  At that price I will drink that any day.  We grabbed some food, slammed back a few more brews, and waited for Perry and Lucy to join us. 

I'm feeling pretty good by the time they show up, so I made sure to give Perry a hard time about everything he did.  Lucy really liked when I called him out about not asking her what she wants before he orders his drink.  They pried me away from my spot at the bar to find a table where we could all sit together.  Perry was hungry and ordered the most deliciously southern sounding thing on the menu, gravy fries.  When I realized that there was a LOT more gravy than there was fries, I got an idea.  Time for more gambling.  This one was just for the benefit of making me laugh.  I bet Perry a couple of bucks that he wouldn't eat the rest of that bowl of gravy.  I know he would do it on any given day, but wasn't sure if he would do it in front of his girlfriend.  When he did it's needless to say that she was REALLY impressed.


Yes, he's eating it with a fork.

We bounced around the festival for a while following all of this.  Nothing really exciting happened, so i'll spare you the details.  Nothing really great actually happened for the rest of the day.  I'm going to go ahead and tell you right now that i'm a little ashamed.  I had hoped to have some big crazy mayfest stories from Saturday, but here's the truth.  I peaked WAY too early.  By the time we went to dinner around 7, I was already in full on hangover mode.  My head was pounding, my stomach was turning, and I was in a bad mood.  I tried to press on and even ended up at Mezo's later, but sadly I was way past done.  All I wanted to do was go to bed and sleep it off.  Sorry guys.

The only thing that really made me laugh later on in the day was the reminder I had Siri set for me.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!


Thanks Siri!

I've got lots of new topics coming for you soon and promise that I will finally finish up my Natchez Trace camping trip.  

Until Next Time,
Kyle



No comments: