Saturday, March 3, 2012

Finding the Good

The past few weeks have been interesting to say the least.  All you have to do is read the last couple of posts to figure that out.  It's kind of been like a roller coaster ride for me.  I've had some extreme highs followed by some crushing lows.  It seems like for all the good news I get there is some equally bad news to bring me back down.  I'm hoping to just level out here before too long.  I've always been a very optimistic and positive person, but i've found myself really searching for the good to stay afloat lately.  


It's not very hard for me to find the good.  Simple things can really turn my mood back around.  Things like a pretty day, or a super clear night when I can really see the stars can perk me right back up.  This past week I was able to catch some great live music downtown and that has a way of picking the spirits up too.  Thursday was one of the best in recent memory.  Well, there is a whole other darker side to Thursday, but that didn't keep me from making the most of it.


I had plans to catch a band up at Mezo's later on that night, but while I was sitting around I got a text from a friend inviting me down to the Julep Room to have some drinks and see Rosco Bandana play.   The band and the atmosphere were both great.  The Julep Room is an interesting old place.  It's a bar down in the cellar of Aunt Jenny's down here in Ocean Springs.  Aunt Jenny's is a historical site in it's own right.  It was once used to house those coming to visit the town's once famous medicinal springs.  The springs, and those coming to be healed, are long since gone, but the house and memories remain.  The upstairs of the actual house is rumored to be haunted, but they didn't say anything about the cellar!  It's only haunted by the local coming to quench a thirst and looking for some great live music.  Music has a very different feel down in there.  It's dark and the ceiling are quite low.  It feels like sitting in a secret speak easy that "doesn't exist."  Then add Rosco Bandana and it's a recipe for awesome.  They took a few months off, but are now filling up their schedule with shows all over the coast.  I would highly recommend checking out their version of folky Americana roots blend music if you get the chance.  They will be playing out at Mezo's on Thursday the 15th, (another great venue) but you can basically catch them anywhere on the coast.  Their dates.



Rosco at the Julep Room.

I caught about a set and a half of Rosco before moving down the road to Mezo's to see The Mumbles.  I saw The Mumbles once before and even with my reduced level of self awareness that night, I knew they had something unique.  They were just a duo.  One on keys and the other on the drums.  This time they've added horns!  A trombone and sax to be more specific.  They were fantastic and rocked Mezo's out.  They are an act out of NOLA and have the sound to prove it.  Their bluesy rock was only enhanced by the brass accompaniment.  This was the first stop on a 10 night tour for them, but I can't wait for them to come back through.  This is another one i'm going to recommend to see if you get the chance!  You won't be disappointed!


The Mumbles at Mezo's

This single night of music will keep me going throughout these next few nights at work.  Who knew such a little quiet town could have such an amazing music/social scene?  I'm always recommending visits down here.  Let me know if you're ever passing through and i'll point you in the right direction!

Until Next Time,
Kyle


No comments: