Friday, February 17, 2012

Local Movie Night

Last night, my favorite local spot, Mezo's Juke Joint, hosted a local film night.  I've always been a fan of local culture and arts, so i'm always trying to get out there and show my support. When I heard about this event I instantly wanted to go.  Local directors and film makers showing their work just intrigued me so I had to go check it out.  I don't know if you've ever been to events like this, but they have a way of being "interesting," for lack of better words.  



I'm not completely sure about this, but i'm assuming we don't have a huge film making community down here.  After all, this is Ocean Springs, MS, not New York or LA.  I may not have been the biggest fan of all the films, but I can still appreciate the work, time and dedication these individuals put into them.  I guess the best way to put it is that i'm a fan of the creative process.  

I showed up a little too late to catch most of the first movie, but from the parts I saw it seemed a little far out there, even for my standards.  It was mostly in black and white.  The movie was completely void of dialogue, but was tracked with some bizarre music.  I could see where they were going with it.  They wanted it to look like the silent movies of past.  I just didn't see enough of it to be able to follow any story lines.  

The second film was called Smoke of the Shenobi.  (Follow link to see it in its entirety.)  When they first announced the name of it I honestly thought they said Smokin the Shenobi, so I was pretty convinced it was a bit of a stoner movie to begin with.  I wasn't far off the mark.  It was a film about some friends out on a camping trip celebrating another's return from Japan.  Can you guess what he brought back with him? Of course you can, Weed.  But not just any weed!  Magical weed that only these mythical ninja's have ever smoked.  Not to be a spoiler, but let's just say it didn't end well for them.

The final movie of the night, and my favorite, was called Loser's Luck.  This film was made during a 48 hour film making contest.  They had 48 hours to write, shoot, edit, and completely finish this film.  I was actually pretty impressed by the results.  The plot line was pretty basic.  Two brothers uncover a doping ring in horse racing and are trying to strike it rich, but get a lot deeper than they had hoped.  It's only 15 minutes and worth a quick watch.  Warning: Language!


Until Next Time,
Kyle

No comments: