Saturday, January 7, 2012

Wise Words From the Past

I was looking through my wallet earlier and came across something from my past.  During my junior year of high school our football team wasn't very good.  It wasn't that we didn't have the talent, we just couldn't put it all together.  That year our record was 1-10.  During our end of the year banquet our coach read us a quote by Theodore Roosevelt.  The quote really lifted all of our heads up and made us feel that even though we may have been beaten, we still gave it all we had.  The next season we were 7-5 making our fist appearance in the playoffs in a decade.



It's not the critic who counts,
Not the man who points out
how the strong man stumbles
or where the doer of deeds 
could have done them better.  
The credit belongs to the man
who is actually in the arena,
whose face is marred by dust
and sweat and blood, who strives
valiantly, who errs and comes 
short again and again because
there is no effort without error 
and shortcomings, who knows the 
great devotion, who spends himself 
in a worthy cause, who at the best
knows in the end the high achievement
of triumph and who at worst, if he
fails while daring greatly, knows his
place shall never be with those timid 
and cold souls who know neither
victory nor defeat.
-Theodore Roosevelt
26th President

That little piece for paper remains in my wallet to this day 8 years later.  If I ever saw coach Hardcastle again I would tell him thanks.  Thanks for inspiring us to be fighters.  It still sticks with us.

Until Next Time,
Kyle

Is there anyone in your past that has inspired you?  Do you wish you could let them know?

1 comment:

Andrew Perry said...

Awesomeness, I actually was thinking about that quote this morning before I read your blog.