Thursday, October 20, 2011

Travel Log: Day 1- 10/7/11

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this blog are solely the opinion of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Blogger. (Just kidding) I just wanted to explain some of the finer points of my writing style to avoid any confusion. These next couple blogs are going to be verbatim from my own personal entries written during my trip to Grand Canyon National Park 10/7 - 10/11. Anything in bullets is a random thought I had at the moment I was writing. I do that sometimes to remember something like a song, to gripe, or just to say something that crossed my mind. Anyway, no further explanation needed. Welcome to my trip!

Day 1:
I'm sitting in the Atlanta airport, at the moment, watching the planes leaving headed here and there. I'm enjoying the people watching in here. I'm watching them and I think some are watching me.

-Maybe the beard is making them nervous-

I had a nice easy time getting to this point so far. 3:30 came early, but before I knew it I was checking in at the Gulfport airport. TSA was extra friendly this morning. The fact that they typically act like they hate the world usually puts me in a bad mood, but i'm taking their cheer as a good sign. There was a little boy, in the airport, that kept coming up to me wanting to show me planes out the window. He would point, smile, and say look! look! plaaaaaane. I humored him for a bit and found a smile during it.

The flight from Gulfport to Atl was over almost as soon as it started. We barely got a drink in our hands before they were scrambling to collect the trash prior to descent. I think I lucked out here. When I arrived, I took a look at the flight board and my connection was only 1 concourse over. Now the 2 1/2 hour lay over seems a little daunting. I'm sitting here writing now with my stomach full of airport biscuit.

-My ipod is blaring The Decemeberists into my ears right now. Things could definitely be worse! Ha, Life is Good.

A crowd is starting to appear around my gate. There is still an hour before the flight is scheduled to leave. I'm sitting at another gate watching. There were no seats at my gate left. The Tucson gate really sticks out. There are a large number of cowboy hats and Mexicans. One of them was even playing on a drum.

-Maybe i'm really the one who sticks out-

Well maybe I will go check things out now.

Later that same day:

It's so cold out here that my pen doesn't want to write. Well, maybe it's the fact that my hands don't want to work at the moment. It's 9:30 right now and it's 31 degrees out here. Our camp is completely set up and i'm pretty impressed with the time we took. We got the entire thing set up in about 30 mins. Brandon just told me that record lows are expected for tonight. That is a real deal camping trip right there! I hope i've packed warm enough. I'm pretty excited about getting into that sleeping bag at the moment.

-I had to change pens and it still didn't work. Maybe that's a sign that it's time to give it up. I'll catch up on everything tomorrow.-

-Brandon keeps singing this song : "I shit my choney's in El Sagundo." I don't know what it is, but it makes me laugh every time.

Check out all of my pictures here: Album 1 and Album 2



No comments: