Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Home: At least the way I see it


I feel like I have a lot to talk about today. First things first, i'm not going to be posting a travel log today in favor of real life. I'll catch back up with that tomorrow. Someone, Alice, told me yesterday that I need to post more about the present because that's what people care about! ha... Well for her here we go

I was watching the news while I was in the gym this morning and saw something pretty amazing. Apparently last night, related to a coronal mass ejection and a bunch of other sequences of words way over my head, there was a rare showing of the Northern lights all across North America. According to Fox News, it was seen as far south as Georgia. The North lights, stars, meteor showers, and all things of that nature have always fascinated me. The Northern Lights is definitely one of the things on Kyle's Bucket List. To see the full story click here.


A blog i've become a big fan of recently is 1000 Awesome Things. If you've never seen it or even heard of it, it's definitely worth a browse. There is really no need to explain it because the title does it all. A recent post was titled #132 Playing music so loud you lose yourself in it. That is exactly what I was feeling like doing today when I left the gym, so I did! I rode over and picked up a smoothie from my favorite local joint, cranked up the tunes loud enough so everyone around me could hear it too, and headed on my favorite drive on the coast. My go-to music of choice for about the last 6 months has been Mumford and Sons "Sigh No More" album. Talk about amazing! If I had to recommend 2 songs they would be "Sigh No More" and "Roll Away Your Stone". Please go listen if you've never heard them. Seeing them live was an experience to say the least!

Short clip of Mumford and Sons playing
Roll Away Your Stone at the Railroad
Revival Tour in New Orleans last spring.

I drove through downtown Ocean Springs receiving plenty of rubbernecking from the volume of my radio. I followed Porter Ave. down around next to the bridge and then onto Front Beach. Front Beach is one of my favorite places on earth. It may not be the most scenic beach or have the prettiest water, but it is HOME. This is where I grew up and every time I ride down it I can see all the days i've spent out here growing up. Today was the perfect day to be out here, so I parked my truck and walked down to the shore. The wind was blowing nicely today and blew my hair into a nice "slicked back" do. The beach looked especially clean today so I figure it must have been raked recently. Down by the water you could see where some kids were writing their names in the sand, so I decided to join it and wrote the classic 4th grade "Kyle Wuz Here." I stayed out there for a while and watched someone guide a paddle board out from the shore and back. That looks like something I would like to try out sometime.


Soon enough my smoothie was gone and I figured it was time to move on. I walked back to the truck. My shoes were full of sand by this point, but that's alright because it feels like home. I thought about the times growing up when I would dream about getting out of this place. Looking back on that I realize how much I took this for granted in those times. I grew up in one of the best places you could've asked for. I feel lucky for that now. I guess it just takes growing up to realize how good things really are sometimes. Well, that's all for now. I'm heading back for one night at work tonight after surviving all night on call last night. That is something that rarely happens!

Until Next Time,
Kyle


How do you feel about the places you grew up?

1 comment:

gmhudson21 said...

wow kyle.. i didnt know you wrote these things.. i am very inspired.. cant wait to check out the 1000 amazing things!!!